Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Schrodinger’s Carry

Whenever the topic of “open vs. concealed” carry comes up, I sit on the sidelines, eat popcorn, and watch fireworks. For all the sound and fury the topic can drag out, I think the issue minor. It’s a bit of an illusion, IMHO.

Here’s the reason: If I drop one of these into a pocket of one of these, am I carrying open or concealed? How about if I put a Ruger iron-on patch on the pocket in question?

If that is concealed, how about a 1911 in a holster that fully and completely covers the weapon such that it is not in view? (Variant of this, with a panel to cover the magazine well from view as well, say.)

Alternatively, say I’ve got my Glock 17L in the Fobus paddle holster that I bought a while back, and I wear my Scott eVest over it.The gun itself is long enough to put about an inch of slide out from under the hem of the vest. Concealed, or not? How about if I paint the slide flourescent green?

If the answer to any of these is “let the judge sort it out,” we have a problem.

For that matter, while it’s relatively trivial for a male dressed in everyday clothing to carry openly or concealed, given the wide variety of choice afforded by pants, belt, and cover garment (in moderate weather conditions, anyway, and assuming you don’t live the Robb Allen lifestyle); doing so as a female restricts the choices of garments, if indeed their body shape allows.

6 comments:

  1. Or One of these...?

    http://www.dragonleatherworks.com/leather_holster_pistol_pouch.php

    Just sayin... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wondered about a Safepacker worn on the hip belt of a pack. It is the only thing that I have found that fits. I only do it where I am good for both CC and OC, just in case, but it would be nice to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dragon: that was more what I was thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think the whole thing is a waste of time as long as I live in a state that won't allow carry of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is kind of stupid to say "you have a right to do this as long as you pretend you aren't doing it", innit?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it civil